To begin with, school has been HARD this semester. I have had so many snow days, so it's been so hard to actually get into the swing of things. It's been a million times better having Will here, but it's also been hard to feel like we aren't on vacation anymore. Last week I didn't go to school on Tuesday, or intern very much, because our friends Randy and Erin came to visit! Randy, one of Will's best friends from childhood, and his wife Erin moved to Vermont about four years ago. Randy is a teacher too, and he got offered a job out there. Previously Will was only able to see Randy about once a year, but now that we're in Maine, they are only 4 hours away. We can do lots of visits! We had an awesome week.
To begin, they got here last Saturday. We had a nice day at home, making dinner together, and hanging out. I didn't feel well so I ended up being kind of lame, and actually going to bed around 9:00!
We got up Sunday and did some sightseeing. They got to see the beautiful ocean, some awesome headlights, and lots of other exciting things. We also went to the grocery store to get some more food for making dinners.
Monday was Valentine's Day! Will and I had celebrated on Friday with just the 2 of us, and he surprised me with tickets to Avenue Q! I'm so excited, because even though I know all the music, I've never actually seen it. I also surprised him with Cake tickets. We're pretty good team ;). Monday we intended to just hang out with our friends and then make a yummy dinner at home. What ended up happening was even better! The boys decided to be boys and go to Cabela's, because the girls decided to be girls and go to the mall :). Erin and I did some shopping, had an awesome lunch, got pedicures, and then got dressed up for dinner and drinks out with the boys. We had an awesome appetizer/drinks/dinner/dessert line-up and were pretty stuffed. It was a fantastic day!
Tuesday we didn't do too much - I had to write a paper. Later we headed to BJ's, so that they could experience that excitement, and then came home and made dinner. We played some games, and had a great night.
Wednesday I had to go to class :(. Boo haha. Everyone else stayed busy by going to a brewery and sampling some beers. I got back around 8:30 and we hung out the rest of the night.
Thursday I interned for half a day, then met up with everyone for lunch at an awesome restaurant in Portland! It's this tiny little place called the Fisherman's Grille, and we ended up hanging out with the manager. He told us how he was mentioned in a book by the host of Man Vs. Food, and how because of it just signed a deal with the Food Network to be on an episode of Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. This place is just up the road from where I live, and I couldn't be more excited. He told us the day they are supposed to be filming, so Will and I are going to go in and try to be on camera ;).
 |
| Randy and his lobster prior to it being in a roll. |
 |
| Cute couple. |
 |
| Randy and a decorative buoy. |
 |
| Waiting eagerly for their lobster rolls. Actually Erin is waiting for a buffalo chicken sandwich. Not a seafood person but we still like her anyway. |
 |
| We forgot to get a picture of the roll but here it is gone! |
 |
| The buffalo chicken sandwich was great too! |
 |
| Hey there... |
Anyway, after introducing our friends to the wonder that is a lobster roll, we went on a tour of the Allagash Brewery. Brewery Pics!
 |
| So, that's where that goes... |
 |
| Allagash White is their flagship. It's a belgian white so think Blue Moon only wayyyy better. |
 |
| Yay Allagash! |
 |
| Yay breweries! |
 |
| Maureen and Erin had crushes on all the hunky brewers and bottlers. |
 |
| And this stuff goes here... |
 |
| Yay again! |
 |
| And these guys do this other thing... |
 |
| Bottles and bottles and bottles. |
 |
| Allagash Curieux is, if I remember correctly, their Allagash Tripel aged for 8 weeks in Jim Beam barrels. At 19 bucks a bottle I have yet to try it but it sounds amazzzzzing. |
Their Belgian Tripel Ale is one of my favorite beers ever, so it was awesome to tour the facility where it's made. We got to sample 4 of their beers at the beginning, so Erin and I got a little giggly. Afterward we went home and hung out, then had a taco night for dinner. Very very fun.
Friday we went up to Freeport to visit the infamous L.L. Bean, and the other outlets.
 |
| Randy is sooooo excited! |
 |
| Next to the enormous and famous Maine Hunting Boot that made Leon Leonwood Bean famous. |
 |
| Maureen saying peace to a fish. She is in this bubble that you could go in and be surrounded by fish. Neat! |
 |
| Moose were fighting near the camping section of the store. I told them to stop but moose are notorious for not following directions. |
Will and I have driven through Freeport a few times, but never actually stopped to do any shopping. This place was seriously cool. It's much bigger and nicer than Cabela's, and their women's clothing section was surprisingly awesome. On top of all this they had a Coach outlet! I'm spoiled with Coach, as our mall here has a big Coach store (where Will bought me my purse :), and I also have an outlet 25 minutes away. They were handing out 30% off coupons, so I got some goodies for CHEAP. Win :). We had dinner at Gritty McDuff's, a different brewery, and Erin and I got a littttttle tipsy. After all this decadence we continued on to the cute little town of Brunswick (where I could totally see myself living) for a visit to Gelato Fiasco (Will is pumping his fist about the pistachio gelato). We finished the day by watching Paranormal Activity 2 (just as freaking scary as the first time I watched it), and having a hard time falling asleep afterward. Awesome day!
Saturday Erin and I went to Ulta for some more shopping! I'm going to have to take a break for a long time, because I was so bad this weekhaha. We had a delicious lunch at Pom's Thai, and all enjoyed some Pad Thai, my FAVORITE. Another awesome day. Sadly, our friends left after this :(. Will and I were so depressed we spent the rest of the day being bums in the living room......In fact.......that's where I still am. On the agenda for today is more cleaning, laundry, possssssibly some homework, and we'll see what else.
I cannot wait for more visitors :).
Best trip i've had in a very VERY long time. You did a great job re-capping it all. It was nice to re-live it through the words and pictures :) Funny captions on a few of the these pictures made me laugh out loud! You are too funny. We are secretely thinking of spending out April break in Maine, are you guys going to be home??? Gas should be about $4.00 Or more by then and we don't want to spend an entire paycheck on gas to Michigan.... no one but you and I know this so far so don't say anything :) Again, thanks for the best time in the world, you have no idea how much it meant to us, especially me. You make great hosts. Can't wait to check out more of downtown when it's warm. _erin & randy <3
ReplyDeleteBy the way, I was writing this when I couldn't sleep, so thanks for having something for me to read :)
ReplyDeleteEeeeee best news ever. I'm sorry your families will miss out on your company, but we'd love to have you again! We'll be around for sure!! Yay :).
ReplyDelete