Pages

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Port Clyde Weekend

Maureen and I took a weekend trip at the end of September to stay at a B&B in Port Clyde, Maine!  It was Maureen's belated birthday present.  We had a fantastic time in a beautiful little town.  

Our cute room when we arrived.  

Outside Ocean House.  On our way to grab a bite to eat at the only place still open at 8:30. 

The Harpoon Restaurant.

Waiting for the seafood chowder and haddock sandwiches we ordered.   Very tasty.

Patsy, the owner, had cheese, crackers, and wine waiting for us when we returned!  Nice work Patsy!

The view out our window.  It was a cloudy, gray weekend.  Port Clyde was still quaint as all get out!

Geared up for kayaking!

Ditto!!!

Our low tide launch is in the lower right.  This is also the dock where you get on the ferry to Monhegan Island.  Supposedly that is an awesome trip we need to do someday.  It's a little island with a population of year round lobstermen (and women) and seasonal artists.  


Waiting to launch.  It was kind of foggy which was a little of a bummer but it also gave the place a cool, mysterious, ambiance.  I mean, what else would you expect from a Maine fishing village

Carrying boats.

Our guide is there with the hat on.  I feel like his name was Cody... I'll have to have Maureen edit this if I am mistaken.  He lives here and said he kayaks everyday and it never gets old.  He also lives in Hawaii part of the year.  You have got quite the life Cody, if that is your real name...a

Ready to do some paddling! 


We mostly stuck near the shore.  So at first we paddled past all the boats in the harbor.
Boats.


Nice work Maureen!

Pine trees and ocean are a magical combination.


Did I mention boats?

This guy will put a dock if for you if you need one!

It started raining so I had to put the camera away.  This is actually on the way back in.  We saw more beautiful Maine coast, seals and porpoises though... I swear!


All right, it's a little narcissistic but it's the only shot of yourself you can get when you're kayaking and you're the one with the camera!

I think Maureen sea kayaking as well as sea flirting with the other guy on the tour...  He is a newlywed Maureen!   His wife, her overbearing mother, and I aren't going to like it if you run (or kayak) off with him!


The fog started to lift on the way back in.  Visibility increased!



Why thank you!

Don't slip!

Maureen all wet and kayaked out.  You can see in the background how much the tide rose while we were out.   Where we launched is like 10 feet under water.  Weird.


When we got back Maureen napped and I wandered around the B&B.  

Snapping photos.

It was pretty cute and very old.  We were on the third floor.  

To the right is the Port Clyde General Store and to the left is the Dip Net.  Which is where we ate lunch after kayaking.  Maureen's lobster grilled cheese sandwich upset her stomach a little.  (Should I be mentioning that?  If not, Maureen, feel free to edit that out.) 

Ocean House, daytime.

St. George Fishermen Memorial.  Port Clyde is located on the St. George Peninsula.  There were quite a few names on the other side.  Some were quite recent too.  

Marshal Point Lighthouse, aka the lighthouse Tom Hanks ran to the end of for a scene in Forrest Gump!  You know, when he started "run-nin" back and forth across the country.  

Maureen, wondering if I got a good picture of her running Forrest Gump style.  I did not.  


So, Maureen asked me to get a shot of her running like Forrest Gump up the walkway to the lighthouse.  I thought she meant a video... If you're wondering why she is running without moving her arms very much, it's because she thought I was taking a still photograph.  This video makes me laugh everytime.....!  


Me and the lighthouse.
Here she is, run-nin.


More ocean and pine trees.  


Tom!  This picture was in the little museum next to the light.

They used to catch a lot of sardines here.   

Gray but pretty.




1 comment:

  1. O.M.God Justin and I are sitting here looking at your pictures and we are so jealous! You make us want to visit!! It looked like the most amazing weekend, it is so cool that you live in such a cool state. Good job on the kayaking and visiting lots of local places. Love it!

    ReplyDelete