I (Will) have been testing the stand up waters out here a couple of times at a weird little wine bar called Slainte' in downtown Portland. For those of you who saw some of my first attempts while in Michigan you may recall Club Bart. Club Bart and Slainte' are roughly equivalent. There isn't really a stage. You kind of just stand in front of the people watching. This wouldn't be so bad but you stand very near the entrances to the bathroom so people go in and out of them literally right next to you. The owner/bartender/cook/waiter guy also has to walk right by you quite a bit. All in all it is pretty poorly set up for comedy but... I can get time just by showing up and there are quite a few good comedians who frequent this place and I have been able to get to know a few. Which is what I need to do to learn about other/better places to do comedy. One opportunity already has presented itself. The host of this show asked me to be in his monthly variety show he puts on. More news on that to come but it sounds promising.
Maureen and I have also been hanging out with her new social work grad school friends quite a bit. They are a lively/nutty/eclectic bunch that is for sure. They have all been very nice and welcoming to me (even though I am not a social worker). One of her friends invited us to a very fun potluck/apples to apples night a few weekends ago and yesterday a bunch of them came over for our Super Bowl party. (I'm pretty sure Maureen thinks it was actually a Glee party with a boring football game before it.)
As far as jobs go, there isn't a ton out there right now as it is mid-school year. To try to get my foot in the door I am going to start volunteering 1 day a week just up the road at Henry Wadsworth Longfellow Elementary.
(It just sounds awesome doesn't it...) (There is a small bust of Mr. Longfellow in their offiice. It is currently wearing a tiny scarf and winter hat that someone must have knitted for it. Mary I thought you would like that.) I am pretty excited about starting this and am going in to meet the student I will be working with and his parents tomorrow.
Last but not least, we can't wait for our friends from Vermont/Michigan Randy and Erin to get here. They are coming this Saturday to spend a little of their winter break with us. It should be a good time.
WillandReen
Good job, Will. We are impressed.
ReplyDeleteHere are some conclusions we have come to:
1. You are good at networking and being a comedian.
2. We hope you will find work at Henry Longfellow Elementary.
3. We want a picture of the little Henry with the hat and scarf.
4. We want more pictures of Portland, Maine.
5. You might have too much time on your hands (example: the final picture of Randy and Erin).
All in all, we like your blog and we miss you both.
Love, m and j and baby cc
My sister and brother in law look REALLY excited, like they are going to visit you guys for a tooth extraction
ReplyDeleteMegan - They had as much fun as their faces show in this picture. Maybe more!
ReplyDeleteJ and Mary - I will work on the Henry Picture. Maybe you should have gone with Greyson Henry Wadsworth Longfellow Christensen Cooper. Though that would make learning how to write your name in kindergarten pretty hard...
Hey!! That is an awful picture of me! Both of us really. Tisk tisk for adding that to this blog. Also, we had WAY more fun than that picture represents....sort of ;) Miss it already!!
ReplyDeleteAhem, still can't sleep...... I have to go to work in, oh......say..... 3 hours! WTF!!
ReplyDeleteSide note... isn't that house that is directly behind Randy and I, in that awful picture, the one where that lady got shot in Lansing?? That was so crazy!?!?!
ReplyDelete