Pages

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Way Too Late Update!

It's been awhile so here is some news!

Sadly, I (Will) didn't get a single interview for any teaching positions out here.  Bummer...  However, I also submitted applications for a few Ed Tech (same as a para-pro) positions got some calls and ended up getting hired at Sebago Education Alliance.  It is a school that is funded by lots of school districts in the area.  They can then send kids there who are having trouble functioning in the mainstream classroom.  They come to us and our job is to continue their academics while working to address the issues keeping them from being successful.  There are 2 high school classrooms, 1 elementary classroom, and 1 middle school class which is where I am.  

It is a pretty great situation as far as ed tech jobs go.  There is 1 teacher, 2 ed techs, and only 6 kids right now!  The kids are all great and so far there as really only been one instance of a student displaying negative behaviors beyond the normal middle-school-itis.  (Let me tell you he was kicking the hell out of that door.)  I'm also taking over some of the daily lessons so I am still getting good experience and great stuff to put on the resume for next time around.

In addition to this job I will also be starting work with a company called Mad Science.  They are a company that runs science based after school programs.  It looks I will be working at 4 schools in the area running an hour long program once a week.  I get to wear a lab coat and come up with my own Mad Science nickname and do cool experiments for the kids who come.  Basically I will be Bill Nye the Science guy for an hour everyday!

Maureen is starting her new internship today.  She will be working this year at the Maine People's Alliance.  (She can give you the deets better but...)  They are an advocacy group here in Maine that works to influence and promote legislation.  I knew earlier this year they were working on collecting signatures for a ballot initiative involving voting registrations rules.  Basically she is moving away from the clinical side of social work and looking to get into the nitty gritty policy side of things.  She is still working part time at her previous internship as well and started classes last Thursday.  

That is the major stuff that comes to mind now...

Will

No comments:

Post a Comment